Compiled by Shelomo Gindi from the works of Rabbi Avigdor Miller
1. Hashem created the world from nothing and is in control.
➤ Everything is in the world because He wishes it to be.
2. The double portion of mahn (food from Heaven) that fell for Shabbos.
➤ The two challos that we have at every Shabbos meal remind us that the Jew
who is loyal to Hashem’s mitzvos will not lose out by keeping them.
➤ The mahn is the demonstration of bitachon, showing that Hashem is in control.
3. Shabbos is the time to give thanks to Hashem.
➤We sing on the Shabbos day, “Tov Lehodos laShem.” It is good to give thanks to Hashem.
4. “Zecher L’yetzias Mitzrayim”
➤ Shabbos commemorates the creation of Am Yisrael.
➤“Beini u’bein Benei Yisrael os hi l’olam.” Shabbos is a sign of a covenant between Hashem and us. Think: Who are you? A goy kadosh, a holy nation chosen by Hashem!
5. “B’Shabbos nitenah Torah l’Yisrael.”
➤The Torah was given on Shabbos.
➤ Shabbos is the glorious opportunity to accomplish something in the knowledge of the great gift Hashem gave us: The Torah.
6. Shabbos is “Me’ein Olam Haba,” a preparation and a picture of Olam Haba which will strengthen our emunah.
➤ As you sit at your Shabbos table enjoying the delicacies of Shabbos, think about Olam Haba.
7. “Ki vo shavas vayinafash.”
➤ Hashem rested on Shabbos, and He wants that your donkey and ox shall rest.
➤ Hashem rested, and He wants us to do the same so that we should emulate Him.
➤ Shabbos teaches us that Hashem desires kindliness.
8. Oneg Shabbos – “Anyone who causes joy to himself on Shabbos, will merit an estate
in Olam Haba that has no bounds.”
➤ Shabbos is a day to enjoy in order to know how great is Hashem’s kindness to us, and so we have to concentrate on enjoying Shabbos in every way.
9. “The words of the Chachamim are more beloved to Hashem than the wine of the Torah itself.”
➤ The Sages added a number of decrees to our shemiras Shabbos.
➤ Keeping the takanos of the Chachamim shows real yiras Shamayim by demonstrating that we keep the fences built around His laws.
10. “Hashem blessed the Sabbath day.”
➤The Jew has vacation with pay for one sixth of his life by keeping Shabbos and chagim.
➤We can use this time to be with our families, talk to our children, spend time with relatives and friends, attend the synagogue for prayers, Torah learning, and to hear the Rabbi speak.
The most important thing in life is to gain True Knowledge of Hashem, and Shabbos is one of the ways we can accomplish this.